Thursday, April 26, 2012

Praise the Ward!!

What a fantastic finish, for both lovers of the Capitals and fans of pun-related headlines. The bar I was in was cracking from the first faceoff, and then emitted a scream best described as "primal joy" when Ward banged home the winner.

And I know it's the 21st century, and that we've elected a black president and thus ended racism in America, but I have to wonder: is this not the highest point a black man has ever reached in the realms of professional ice hockey? I mean, the list of black NHL players if fairly limited, and those who spring to my mind aren't exactly Hall of Fame-worthy. Kevin Weekes was a serviceable backup goalkeeper but no Braden Holtby, if you catch my drift. Donald Brashear was a stereotypical goon. Grant Fuhr won a cup and is the in the HOF, but he's only half-and-half genetically and was raised by whites, which means he hardly counts. Yes, I know, we're not to talk about race in the public domain (do you think we'll hear this sort of discussion on SportsCenter this week?) but these are the questions I have to ask.

Awkward racial discussions aside, the Capitals have put me in a joyous mood and I have beers to drink and thoughts to think and therefore must bid you a fond adieu, dear reader.

No comments:

Post a Comment