Sunday, February 9, 2014

Truth On The Rocks: An Exposé

I work in a Mexican restaurant. I'll decline to say which one, but it is a fairly prosperous regional chain. We have two choices for margarita sizes-- 16 ounces and 27 ounces. When we first opened, the 16 oz. margaritas came in a standard pint glass. Thus.

About six months after we opened, the management printed up new drink menus, raised the price of the margaritas from five dollars and change to nearly seven dollars, and bought us brand new glassware to serve it in. The new glasses look like this.
Its a neat-looking glass, and feels good in your hand, but I immediately suspected it was smaller than our old pint glasses. I was right. This is one of our new glasses filled with Coke.
And then when I pour the Coke into a pint glass...
So I would approximate that these new glasses have a capacity of about 12 ounces. Meaning that you're being overcharged by 33% when you buy a "16" ounce margarita where I work--and that's even overlooking the price increase that accompanied this change. That's bullshit. You're now paying almost $7 for no more than an ounce or two of the cheapest tequila known to mankind (Mi Cosecha brand, if anybody is curious.)

I'm not proud to have been part of the deception, but I haven't said anything before because increasing the prices have increased my tips by about 50 cents on every margarita I serve, which is a pretty substantial number. The restaurant itself is cleaning up on these, seeing as they're now receiving more money for less product. Bastards.

The 27 ounce glasses are true to size and have not been tampered with, although the price was increased at the time the new menus were printed.


No comments:

Post a Comment